Thursday, June 20, 2013

Butterfly Ohhhhh Butterfly


That's my hand, and that is one of my newborn babies!  Another crazy obsession is hand raising butterflies.  Well its really hand raising caterpillars and eggs till they become butterflies.  My dear friend opened this crazy obsession to me last year, making this my second year as a butterfly mom.  It takes mother nature about 100 eggs to create one amazing butterfly that you see fluttering around.  I go into nature to find the eggs and caterpillars, but only search for native butterflies and only ones that local flowers can support.  Its amazing after all the weeks of love and care to see them fly off, giving back to nature feels awesome.  We take so much from nature and enjoy its beauty daily that I feel anytime we can help lessen our impact is a good thing. 

  I put this baby on my pink Dahlias to sun bathe before it flew off to create more babies

I have had Anise Swallowtails born about every two days for the past few weeks.  Obsession, told you this gemini is quirky.  I love this pic because these two were born the same morning.  On the left is the boy and right is the girl.  The boy is huge, I just love when they are big and strong.  I give them as much fresh food as possible when they are caterpillars, in hopes that they will all be big like him.  Mother nature is funny and you just never know when they will decide to go into their chrysalis.  The little girl on the right laid a clear egg while I was holding her, that was the first time a girl has done that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment